Following the national policy on promoting and advancing the marine sciences, technology and affairs in Taiwan, the ministry of education encourages universities to establish new institutes to train, educate, and prepare the human resources that are needed for the country’s development on the general affairs of our marine environment. This leads to the establishment of the graduate institute of marine environmental science and technology at National Taiwan Normal University in 2006. The program integrate closely with the faculty members of Earth Sciences department (covering atmospheric and oceanic sciences, geology, geophysics, and astronomy) to provide an interdisciplinary course work and research on earth system sciences.
The research facilities at the institute include: (a) Marine Chemistry and Geochemistry Laboratory: Alpha Spectrometers with Multiple-Channel Analyzer, Low-background & Counting System, Constant Temperature Bath/Circulators, Convection Oven, Visible Range Spectrophotometer, Hume Hood, Carbon/Sulfur Analyzer System, Mettler AT Balances, Nanopure Analytical Deionization, High Speed Centrifuge, Double-Distilled Automatic Water Purifier System, Stable Isotope Mass Spectrometer. (b) Computing Facility for Ocean-Atmosphere Modeling: High Performance Computing Linux PC cluster and multiple high capacity disk array storage system, Atmosphere-ocean modeling and forecast system with massive parallel high speed myrinet network, numerous workstationssome of equipments are shared with the Department of Earth Sciences
Recently, the institute plans to purchase an Acoustic Doppler Current Profiler (ADCP) with post-processing marine information system. It would provide a unique tool to study more complete picture of ocean current in both the course work and field trips.
The institute aims to conduct research and train student for better understanding of the processes and characteristics governing how the oceans function and how they interact with Earth as a whole. There are two main research directions that are initial foci of the institute and unique to the ocean community in Taiwan:
- To study the atmosphere-ocean coupling and interaction, the role of ocean in climate, the mechanisms that link the climate variability with ocean, the feedback processes between them and the following impacts. The model development of atmosphere-ocean system, the modeling and simulation of the past, present, and future ocean variation and their association with global climate change are emphasized and supported.
- The analysis and integration of marine environmental data information that is inter-related with the change in earth system (including the nature forcing and anthropogenic effect).
Education and Courses
The institute of marine environmental science and technology offers master of science graduate degrees in oceanography with specialization in chemical, geological and physical oceanography with further emphasis on the interactions with other earth sub-systems.
The institute offers a combination of courses and interdisciplinary research on a wide range of marine environmental topics. In addition, students have opportunities to take courses offered by other department and program (e.g. Earth Sciences department). The courses can be divided into three major categories including:
- basic sciences focused on the build up the fundamental knowledge on theory and application of marine sciences and technology;
- seminar focused on broadening the knowledge through discussion and presentation of research work;
- special topics focused on studies more closely related to studentˇs thesis work.
The details of courses offered can be found at the website of the institute
Route 1: Take the MRT Green Line to Wanlong Station, head north, then walk about 10 minutes along Roosevelt Road.
Route 2: Take the MRT Green Line to Gongguan Station, head south, then walk about 11 minutes along Roosevelt Road.
Get off at the bus stop of “NTNU Branch”.
You can take the route as shown below:
0 South, 74, 109, 505, 606, 52, 236, 236 shuttle bus, 236 night bus, 251, 251 shuttle, 252, 253, 278, 278 shuttle, 290, 671, brown 11, blue 28, 284, 284 direct, 530, 660, 676,280, 280 direct, 668, 675, 642, 643, 644, 648, 650, 849, green 13, 1551(Freeway bus)